If you are among the 90% of marketing managers who feel your lead generation campaigns are underperforming, it’s time to consider email marketing for SEO.
Keeping the marketing funnel full and flowing is the number one goal of marketing managers, which is why it's important to look at all opportunities available to improve your brand’s position in the market, compared to competitors.
To put your brand above the rest it’s important to use optimisation for every drop of its value. These email marketing tips are designed to improve website SEO by increasing traffic to your quality online content.
Email marketing tips for better lead generation
Email marketing and SEO aren’t usually connected. The content of emails is not subject to Google’s crawling algorithms; and with its higher-than-average ROI, the danger with email marketing is sheer complacency for its ability.
In fact, one survey of 1300 marketers found 12% spent no time on email strategy; 43 percent felt their lack of strategy was a problem; and 27 percent spent no time optimising emails. Marketing managers appear to be taking it easy on their email marketing strategy, which is both a threat (if you’re one of those managers) and an opportunity – if you continue not to have a strategy.
If you’re strategy for email is failing to engage subscribers, you’re in the right place for some pointers to increase your reach.
How to get your email marketing on track:
The first task for marketing managers is to ensure your emails are being opened and read by recipients.
The third is to engage email subscribers and to entice them into a conversation with result-generating content.
In this way, your email marketing efforts will be doing double duty and helping to fulfil the strategic marketing goals of directing ever increasing amounts of traffic to your marketing funnel.
First things first
Before you start creating irresistible subject lines around your campaigns, the first think you need to do involves email optimisation. This involves principles such as growing your list and practicing good “list hygiene”.
Why should you be worried by email optimisation? Because, your opening and click through rates will be diluted if a percentage of your subscriber list is going nowhere. Here are steps to guide you through email optimisation:
- Validate your email list on a constant basis in order to increase the value of the data you depend on for further optimisation.
- Experiment with subscribers and test their response to subject lines that include the keywords and search terms used in SEO.
- Email-redesigns and change the send-frequency to wake up recipients. An alert, curious email subscriber is then ready to be engaged from a new angle with new content.
- Use what content you already have. For years now, marketing managers have been laser-focused on driving SEO by identifying keywords, tags and meta-descriptions that resonate with customers searching for answers online. This remains the bedrock of best practices for content marketing. Clever marketers with a global view of their conversations with customers will repurpose existing content as a way to use email marketing for SEO. One strategist puts it like this; if you have a campaign of helpful resources and distribute it using email, you might trigger searches for related keywords and terms. It, therefore, pays to help email subscribers adopt and understand the terms you rank highly.
- Engage email subscribers on social media Make social media icons prominent in emails and encourage comments and tweets by incorporating human interest stories into email content. This will activate subscribers and encourage them to cross over into realms that do directly impact SEO.
- Lastly, include inbound links to your website and to high-authority hosts. The more diverse, the better for SEO.
So, why not provide email subscribers with a weekly summary of your most popular blog content, reproduce some of your online readers’ comments and promote RSS links to further regular content? All of these initiatives will ensure your email marketing efforts are working hard for SEO.
Find out more methods to increase leads going into your sales funnel by downloading The Smart Insider’s Guide to Lead Generation today.